BHA Properties

Robert Preston Home

The Robert Preston House at Walnut Grove, located on Lee Highway near Exit 7 has great importance to Washington County. This home and its log dependency were constructed around 1780 by Robert Preston, a member of the leading political family in southwest Virginia during the era of the American Revolution. Robert Preston was given his commission as surveyor of Washington County in 1779 by Thomas Jefferson who was the governor of Virginia at that time.

The house has "retained remarkable architectural integrity from the period of its original construction," says John Kern, director of the Roanoke Regional Preservation Office of the Department of Historic Resources. Robert was one of the founding fathers of Washington County, and his home is comparable to Smithfield Plantation at Virginia Tech. On July18, 2002, this Walnut Grove home was found eligible for listing in the Virginia Landmarks Register of Historic Places. This listing will be important to receive grants and funds for rehabilitation. The property can become a major tourist destination for our area.
It is absolutely essential to preserve Walnut Grove as a property that can provide wonderful opportunities for interpretation of history of pioneer settlement in southwest Virginia. The house has been given to the Bristol Historical Association by developer Mack Trammell but the land was not included. In December, 2011, the Bristol Historical Association purchased this land, a one acre portion of the Walnut Grove Plantation

The initial work to insure the moving and preservation of this important landmark has been done by the Bristol Historical Association.

For further information please contact
Jan Rainero at janrainero@hotmail.com  or
Amy Hopper at shopper226@aol.com


Ernie Ford Home

In 1991, the Bristol Historical Association was very much in need of a meeting place in addition to a storage place for memorabilia. About this time, it was learned that a house on Anderson Street in Bristol, Tennessee was available for purchase. The house, while outwardly unassuming was actually of historical significance. It wasn’t long before the Association decided that this house, located at 1223 Anderson Street was just what was needed. This house was the birthplace of Tennessee Ernie Ford.

The Ford House, as it has since become known was ideal for the organization. It was large enough for the needs of the Association, and it also allowed the organization to become actively involved in preserving a bit of Bristol's history. However, prior to proceeding with the plan to restore the house, Ernie Ford was contacted to detennine his feelings about the project. He was elated to discover the intentions of the Association. When he returned to Bristol for the grand opening of the Paramount Center for the Arts, he met with members of the organization on several occasions. Later, upon his return to California, the organization received several phone calls from him, desiring to know how the restoration was progressing.

When the investigation of the history of the house began it was discovered, with some surprise, that it was built in the early 1900s. Its immediate former owner, a Southwest Virginia native living in Florida, had purchased the house to use when she returned to the area for visits. During one of her absences the house suffered a severe fire. Following the fire, a great deal repair was necessary, and the original design was altered during renovation. These alterations assumed several forms including putting aluminum siding over the imitation brick siding, which had previously been installed over the original clapboard siding. Inside, the house took on a modern look with narrow woodwork and small windows. The two original fireplaces were covered over as they were no longer needed when electric baseboard heaters were installed. The wooden floors were covered with carpet.

Restoration on the interior began with replacing the narrow woodwork. The next big project was to uncover the two fireplaces and locate suitable mantels. These were found in an old house being demolished, which was located just down the street. Four windows needed replacement and were obtained from another old house which was being demolished. The mantles and windows were covered with several coats of paint which had to be removed before being replaced. Later, bead board ceiling, recovered from an old house, was used in the living room and bath. Carpeting was removed from the living room floor, and a pine floor was installed.

At about this stage of the restoration, the site was visited by a representative from the Tennessee Historical Restoration department. He was well pleased with the efforts and later forwarded some literature which proved valuable in the remaining restoration efforts.
The property surrounding the house was also in need of some maintenance. A large walnut tree had to be removed as it was in danger of falling and causing damage to the house. Following the removal of the tree, the front and back yards were graded and planted in grass. A six foot board fence was constructed to enclose the back yard. Bulbs, perennials and shrubbery were planted. The driveway has been graded and graveled. A new sidewalk has been constructed in front of the house.

To meet the requirements of the Tennessee Historical Restoration regulations, several changes had to be made to the exterior of the house. The aluminum siding, as well as the imitation brick siding had to be removed. Much of the original clapboard siding also had to be replaced.

In 1995 additional interior renovations were undertaken. Old bead board ceilings were purchased and installed in the middle and back rooms as well as in the kitchen. All ceilings are now pine bead board which is consistent with the early 1900s. Carpet was taken up in the middle and back rooms and pine floors were installed. Modern interior doors were replaced with period doors from a demolished house. Lighting was upgraded in the middle and back rooms to accommodate the needs of the Bristol Historical Association. The house received a new coat of paint on the inside and outside. The driveway was paved in 1996.
Regarding the decoration of the interior the front room and bathroom were dedicated to Tennessee Ernie Ford and his family. Furnishings from the era when the Ford family resided at the house have been purchased or donated. Ernie said he could remember being scrubbed in the old original bathtub. The middle room honors the country music heritage of this region, and tile walls are decorated with plaques from the original Country Music Foundation recognizing several early musicians. The room is used by Bristol Historical Association for various committee meetings. The back room serves as a work area and has storage space for memorabilia. It is the actual room in which Tennessee Ernie was born on February 13, 1919.

Much time and effort have gone into this ongoing project. Bristol Historical Association is appreciative of individuals and businesses that have assisted in our commitment to maintain links to the past.

Pleasant Hill

Pleasant Hill was the third house built on Solar Hill after the great Johnson Land Sale of July 5, 1871. It was built by William H. Smith an early Bristol contractor for Capt. John Harvey Wood, a local attorney. Construction began in 1872 and was completed in the spring of 1873. The Wood family moved into the house in May of that year. The brick cost one cent apiece at the time and one cent each to lay.
Originally a small portico was over the front door. In 1875 a chimney was damaged by lightning. While having it repaired, Capt. Wood decided to add a veranda extending across the front of the house. The first telephone in Bristol was installed in what is now the dining room.
The story has long been told that Jefferson Davis, ex-president of the Confederate States of America, spent a night in the Wood's home in late 1873. He slept in the north upstairs bedroom. Standing on the portico the next morning, Mr. Davis delivered an address to a large crowd of Bristolians who had gathered in the front yard and on the lot across the street.
The first wife of Capt Wood was Laura Lucretia James, a daughter of a very prominent early Bristol merchant, W. W. James from Blountville, Tennessee. Mrs. Wood died in 1891. Later Mr. Wood married Virginia Holmes, a widow from Winchester, Virginia. It was at this time that he built the late Victorian home which still stands next door at 210 Johnson Street. He and his wife moved into this house, and he gave Pleasant Hill to his daughter Mary, wife of Samuel Harriss. Gertrude, one of the Wood children who was reared at Pleasant Hill, married a Dillard, moved to New York City and became the first licensed woman driver in that city.
The house was rented for several years. At one time it served as the parsonage for State Street Methodist Church. Over the years the house has had several owners. It is now the home of Bristol author, V. N. (Bud) Phillips. It is furnished in keeping with the style and period of the house.

 

LANDMARK LIST

Robert Preston House
E.W. King House
Ernie Ford House
Bristol Depot
Terry / Bonham House
C.C. Minor House
Pleasant Hill
John Nobleton House
I.C. Fowler Home
The Grove
Paramount Theatre
203 Solar Street
116 Solar Street

HISTORICAL LANDMARK MARKER

Are you interested in a Landmark Marker for your historical building? If so, please complete the Historical Landmark Marker Application Form and send to the address on the form.

SHOP AT OUR STORE

We stock a wide variety of Bristol Historical Association gifts such as Books, Pins, Cards, Clothing and Coffee Mugs. Visit Our Store

LANDMARKS