This small, one story, frame house is like many others in Bristol, except that an ex-slave once lived here. Located at 412 Clinton Avenue in Bristol, Virginia, it was built in the mid -1890's, likely by H. A. Bickley, an early Bristol undertaker. The lot fronted on Mary Street and extended through to what is now Clinton A venue. Mr. Bickley bought the lot from Capt. Joseph W. and Linnie King Owen on October 6, 1890. In time it became the property of W. T. Senter who, before his death, contracted to sell to John Nobleton. Mr. Senter had bought the house and lot from Sarah, the wife of H. A. Bickley, on October 12, 1899. Mr. Senter's heirs conveyed the property to Oakey Nobleton, widow of John, on February 10, 1908 (the contract to John Nobleton had been made in 1905). Mr. Nobleton had been killed in a tragic accident while working for the Norfolk and Western Railroad.
Rester Ann James, the mother of Mrs. Nobleton, an ex-slave, once lived in this house.
The house is now owned by Mrs. Wilhelmina Banks, whose mother an East Virginia teacher and later a Bristol, Virginia WPA nursery school teacher, also resided there. Mrs. Banks has established the Nyumba Ya Tausi-Peacock Museum in this old house. It contains over 800 pieces of African-American Art, Bristol, Tennessee collectibles, slavery and family heirlooms, and memorabilia.
(Information given by owner, Mrs. Wilhelmina Banks)